Services We Provide
Our services provided include the following:
- Free, small-scale classes teaching literacy using STAGES approach.
- Twice-weekly; 3 hours each session (9:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.)
- Classes available for 26 weeks a year
- free, flexible one-to-one literacy tutoring for adults and youth not in school. At any given time, approximately 20 students and tutors are working together.
- short-term help for individuals (ex: studying for health care aide certification or for written or oral learner’s driver’s license, etc.)
- assessments for our incoming learners
- For students assigned to tutors learning plans are developed, based on learner’s goals, by the learner, tutor and staff
- monitoring effectiveness of teaching strategies through follow-up assessments
- referrals to other programs and services, as needed
- an extensive lending library for learner and volunteer use
- several newsletters throughout the year for volunteers, learners and friends of LiteracyWORKS
- training workshops open to other literacy and adult education organizations are facilitated on an occasional basis